Although the reason for dandruff is not totally understood, it is presently theorized that one of the primary causes is a breakdown of the scalp’s natural lipid barrier, leaving it extra exposed to contamination by way of the microscopic yeast that is in many instances located in the scalp. When the yeast overgrows, it leads to an inflammatory response that kills off scalp cells at a high rate, which in turn slough off in sticky patches and flakes.
The condition is recognized by:
– White or clear flakes on the scalp, via the hair, and on clothing.
– Itchy scalp which can also be red and inflamed.
Some young teenagers discover they develop dandruff when they hit puberty due to the fact their hygiene habits haven’t changed to meet the challenges of newly accelerated sebum production.
Stress, bad hygiene, and a poor eating regimen can make the scalp extra prone to dandruff. High sugar meals in particular are known to exacerbate yeast infections.
The hair ought to be brushed frequently to loosen flakes and stimulate blood supply to the scalp, which will speed up the natural immune response to infection.
There are few habits you can develop and natural remedies you can use to deal with dandruff.
Nutrition: An excess of sugar in the diet can exacerbate any yeast infection. Try decreasing your consumption of all sugars and refined starches while treating dandruff.
Cleansing: Massage your scalp completely with your fingertips when shampooing. This will assist to loosen and get rid of any dead pores and skin flakes and assist prevent the infection from continuing. Wash your hair each day till the infection is cleared up.
Conditioning: Use a protective hair condition on the ends of hair only. Avoid getting conditioner on your scalp where it can clog pores and intrude with the restoration of the skin.
– Massage: Massaging your scalp a number of times a day with the pads of the fingers solely will stimulate blood supply to the hair follicles and help loosen the dead pores and skin flakes.
– Brushing: Brushing your hair entirely on a daily basis will assist loosen and get rid of dead pores and skin flakes, increase the smooth flow of sebum alongside the hair shaft and increase blood supply to the hair follicles.
– Wash Hands After Brushing and Grooming Hair: Fungal infections of the pores and skin are particularly contagious, and it is easy to reinfect and spread to different areas of the body. This is why it’s essential to wash your hair each day and to brush out any loose dandruff flakes – so that healthy areas of the scalp will not be infected. Washing your hands after brushing, massaging, and grooming your hair will additionally assist prevent reinfection or cross-infection.
The following herbs and vitamins have been shown to minimize dandruff infections:
Natural Internal Treatments for Dandruff
Alpha-Lipoic Acid, Vanadyl Sulfate, Gymnema Sylvestre, and Chromium are all natural regulators of blood sugar levels. They can help stop feeding the infection by maintaining blood sugar levels normalized.
Olive Leaf and Oregano Leaf are both natural systemic antifungal agents.
Natural External Treatments for Dandruff
The following herbs can be used as a tonic for decreasing fungal infections on a topical basis. Extracts of these herbs or a number of drops of their essential oils dissolved in Aloe Vera gel or witch hazel can substantially relieve the signs and symptoms of itching and flaking in dandruff. Tea tree oil is specifically effective for fungal and bacterial infections.
Although dandruff can be an irritating problem, there are lots of natural treatments handy that can decrease signs and symptoms and provide relief.
How to Get Rid of Dandruff Naturally:
- Eat More Probiotics.
Probiotics help enhance immune function and have been shown to reduce dandruff severity.
- Baking Soda.
Baking soda has antifungal properties and will help relieve itching and skin irritation.
- Increase Omega-3s Intake.
Omega-3 fatty acids are good for skin health and help reduce inflammation. A deficiency in Omega-3s can cause dry hair, dandruff and dry skin.
- Adding Apple Cider Vinegar to Your Hair Products.
Apple cider vinegar help to remove dead skin cells and also balance the pH of the scalp.
- Reduce Stress Levels.
Stress weakens the immune system and decreases the body’s ability to fight off infections that cause dandruff. Stress precedes episodes of seborrheic dermatitis, which is one of the common causes of dandruff recently discovered.
- Use Aloe Vera.
Aloe vera has antibacterial and antifungal properties. And as a result, may help decrease dandruff symptoms and inflammation.
- The Use of Coconut Oil.
Coconut oil has antimicrobial properties and which may improve skin hydration and reduce symptoms of dandruff and eczema.
Next time you begin to spot flakes, give a few of these natural treatment/remedies a try.